This Site Is Optimize By New Information And New Gadgets

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Couldn’t Install OnUSB Storage Or SD Card"Problem On Android


Hari

Today, for the first time ever, my
EVO 4G had an unexpected
failure installing updates for
some of my Android apps. All
update attempts would
inevitably end in an almost
instant failure with the message
that read:
Installation error
Couldn’t install on USB
storage or SD card



The weird part was that some
apps installed OK but some got
stuck in a perma-fail mode and
could no longer be updated.
After mucking around for a bit, I
dug into the logs and found the
following relevant log line:
Failed to create secure
container smdl2tmp1
Aha! Now what the heck is
smdl2tmp1?
After digging around the Internet
some more, I found that the
problem is caused by a
temporary file called
smdl2tmp1.asec that is used
during some installations (I think
of apps that are movable to SD)
but does not get deleted for
some reason, most notably
when you run out of space.
Because of this, the system can’t
create it and treats it as an error,
rather than figuring out that it’s
stale and simply deleting it.
The solution? Go and delete
smdl2tmp1.asec yourself. From
what I can tell, it could reside in
2 locations:
01. /
sdcard/.android_secure
– this is an invisible
folder on your SD
card, which you can
access with any file
manager, like ASTRO
02. /mnt/secure/asec/ –
access to this folder
requires root and a
program like Root
Explorer
Look for smdl2tmp1.asec in
these folders and delete any
ones you see. Deleting it seems
to be a safe enough operation –
it’s just a temporary file after all.
Once you’ve done that, all the
update problems should go
away:
I/logwrapper( 170): /
system/bin/
newfs_msdos
terminated by exit(0)
I/PackageHelper
(15175): Created secure
container smdl2tmp1
at /mnt/asec/
smdl2tmp1
I/DefContainer(15175):
Created container for
smdl2tmp1 at path : /
mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1
I/DefContainer(15175):
Copied /cache/32.apk
to /mnt/asec/
smdl2tmp1/pkg.apk
I/DefContainer(15175):
Finalized container
smdl2tmp1
I/DefContainer(15175):
Unmounting
smdl2tmp1 at path /
mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1
Later on, I found this bug
discussing the situation and
slamming Google left and right
for not fixing this problem and
requiring users to look for
random files on their phones,
which I wholeheartedly agreed
with.
Oh well, at least my phone is
healthy again, and I hope yours
is too, as you probably found
this page while looking for a
solution.
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments

:) :-) :)) =)) :( :-( :(( :d :-d @-) :p :o :>) (o) [-( :-? (p) :-s (m) 8-) :-t :-b b-( :-# =p~ :-$ (b) (f) x-) (k) (h) (c) cheer

 
© Harimakvana Blog
Designed by BlogThietKe Cooperated with Duy Pham
Released under Creative Commons 3.0 CC BY-NC 3.0
Posts RSSComments RSS
Back to top